Monday, June 9, 2008

Vanderbilts .. god love 'em

Since we are having a flood, I finished up watching Little Gloria: Happy at Last. I think that pre-stock market crash 1920's has to be my favorite time period. Gatsby, Cole Porter, flappers, Ziegfield. Of course, this means that if I transported myself back to that time, I'd have to have tons of money ... Vanderbilt money. Gloria Vanderbilt ... what a messed up childhood. I can't say that her mother was that great ... too selfish, but still. Bottom line is that you don't mess with people with money. Gertrude Vanderbilt Whitney, who was no saint, used her money well, hey, that's who I could go back in time and be ... no, I think I'd love to be Jennie Churchill, Winston's mother, or Clara Bow ... too many to choose from! I remember being shocked when I heard that Anderson Cooper was Gloria's son ... she did a great job with him. He's so unassuming and down to earth ... even if he's firmly in the closet. But again, money buys good locks.

Just got my copy of the movie, Control. It's about the tragically short life of Ian Curtis, the lead singer for Joy Division (a song or 2 is on my playlist). The guy who played Curtis in 24 Hour Party People was spooky and the guy who plays him in Control looks even spookier. And what's funny is that the guy who plays Ian in Control was ALSO in 24 Hour Party People, just not playing Ian Curtis. Talk about ruining your movie career. Hope he got paid well. Samantha Morton plays Deborah Curtis, Ian's wife/widow. She's just a fabulous actress and it does my heart good to see that she's not that much of an ahhhhhhtist to take on roles like this one. Gotta figure out a time to watch it.

Speaking of 24 Hour Party People, what the heck in Michael Winterbottom doing these days? Party People is one of my favorite movies, but I kind of feel guilty for putting it on a top list because I'm biased because I love the music that came out of Manchester England during the 1980's & 1990's ... Joy Division/New Order, Smiths, Happy Mondays, Charlatans, Stone Roses. I love Winterbottom's Welcome to Sarajevo ... so underappreciated and soooooo good. It's one of Woody Harrelson's best roles. Not enough movies are made about the former Yugoslavia .. not enough attention is paid to what those people went through and the pain that they inflicted upon each other. I think I need to set up a Wishlist on my tivo for Winterbottom. There are probably things out there that I'm not paying attention to ... ugh, more to watch!!!

1 comment:

sarahbclark! said...

this was a fun post to read! i'd love to watch whatever it was that you watched on the vanderbilts, i love learning about random interesting stuff.