Monday, April 6, 2009

Reign Over Me ... Meh

I'm a tepid fan of the Who. But one of the songs that I hate more than any other is Reign on Me from Quadrophenia... I think about the song and that stupid screamy hitmeovertheheadwithaballpinehammer chorus goes through my head for the next week ... arrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrghhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh reignnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnn on meeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeee whoa whoa ... shoot me now.

That being said, the movie that was written by Mike Binder, kind of hit you over the head until you bleed movies, dang ... he's just so unnecessarily heavy handed, is called Reign Over Me ... maybe the Who wouldn't give them the rights to use the song title. Anyway ... it's so bad that I have to have my playlist going in order for me to be able to type this out (Hey Ya by OutKast is on right now).

The story could have been great. Tragic story of a 9-11 widower. The cast was better than the movie. Don Cheadle, who deserves an Oscar pretty much everytime he's on screen, is great as the lead character's college roommate who tries to help him cope and come back to reality. The lead is played by Adam Sandler, who is just ok. He had a great scene where he confronts his in-laws about what is going on with his inability to WANT to remember the family he lost. But pretty much, he ambled through the entire film as a cross between Ratzo Rizzo and a face puff. I liked Sandler in Punch Drunk Love, Spanglish & Click ... basically any movie where he isn't talking in some baby voice. I wonder what the Coen Brothers would do with him? Hmmmmm, I'll ponder that. I mean, if Paul Thomas Anderson made an actor out of him ... hey, who knows? Anyway, was the movie good? yea ... maybe ... no ... I don't know. It could have been so much better. I guess Tom Cruise was offered Sandler's role first, thank you for turning it down Turdy Tom. Then Brad Pitt was considered ... THAT would have been interesting! Cheadle was great, Sandler, ok. Allen Klein, great, Donald Sutherland, supercool ... Binder? yea, he was ok.

In Treatment started up again last night. Gabriel Byrne is incredible. We have 5 new storylines, one of which is going to involve John Mahoney, who I love! Last night, we found out that Dr. Weston is being sued by the family of one of his patients who died ... the attorney representing Dr. Weston is a former patient, who it appears has had a relationship with in the past. Dr. Weston now lives and practices in Brooklyn. The second story involves a young college student who has cancer and refuses to tell anyone about it. Between In Treatment and Corner Gas ... lots of episodic television to watch in the coming weeks.

Life on Mars ended. The ending was wrapped up neatly in a red bow and delivered. All are on a spaceship to Mars ... Keitel is Sam's Dad ... he was supposed to go back to 2008, not 1973 ... I don't know ... sigh. It's just too bad the show didn't catch on.

No comments: