Sunday, May 25, 2008

More on Juno

I do this ... I hear bits and pieces of music and then I go off the deep end. I did this with Carolina Chocolate Drops. Cool band out of the Piedmont area of North Carolina. Heard them on NPR one day and immediately purchased their CD and haven't regretted it one bit.

I did the same thing with The Strokes and the Hives ... bought the CD's out of the blue and it worked out. Back when I was ... a youngster, I would buy at least 3-5 cd's a week, obviously that has changed considerably and now that I have an Ipod ... how did I live without that thing ... I download all the time. Anyway ..

The more Juno marinates with me, the more I actually think I like the music better than the movie. There are certain movies where the soundtrack is sometimes better than the movie, To Live and Die in L.A. ... great movie, even better soundtrack and I hope that Wang Chung still gets big checks from doing that soundtrack. Of course the Tarantino films ... Dogs, Pulp ... excellent soundtracks. But the mother of all soundtracks is O Brother Where Art Thou.

Back to Juno. I guess after Jason Reitman cast Ellen Page as Juno, he asked her about music and she suggested music by the Moldy Peaches and he went with it. Moldy Peaches are a band out of NY and their female singer is Kimya Dawson. I hate that they, or whoever labeled them as Anti-Folk, how freaking pretentious, but dang, their/her music is really great! Refreshing, different, clever and surprisingly, unpretentious, in spite of the whole Anti-Folk crap. So, I downloaded Dawson's songs off Itunes and ordered the Moldy Peaches cd from Amazon. I like the clips I heard and can't wait to listen to the whole thing.

No comments: