Saturday, February 14, 2009

Humanizing Lincoln ... ahhhhhhh!!!

I've always been a fan of Henry Louis Gates, Michael Eric Dyson & Cornell West. If I ever see they are going to be on tv, I make an effort to watch because I know I'll learn something. One of my favorites was on Bill Maher's show. Dr. West and PJ O'Rourke, 2 men who are on opposites of the political spectrum, were fascinating together. Michael Eric Dyson is one of the most eloquent speakers I've ever heard. Henry Louis Gates has a terrific documentary on PBS called Looking For Lincoln:

http://www.pbs.org/wnet/lookingforlincoln/

When I was in college, I had the incredible fortune of being taught by revisionist historians. I remember my junior year, sitting in American History class and the professor, Dr. Waas, saying "the emancipation proclamation freed not one slave". My jaw dropped ... WHAT????? And then he explained and freaking A, he was right!!! This was back in 1988. It sparked a huge interest in myths of history and it was my quest to see what other lies were perpretrated by my past teachers ... but I digress. Dr. Gates' validated everything I learned in college. Lincoln didn't free the slaves, he made slavery a moral issue knowing that the south's dependence on slavery was purely economic. Turn slavery moral/kill the south's economy. Lincoln was a strong colonialist. In fact he would rather have had the freed slaves emigrate back to Africa (Liberia), or Panama. Thank you Professor Gates! Now everyone, go watch Looking For Lincoln.

No comments: