Monday, January 26, 2009

Southland Tales ... what the heck was that?

One of my alltime favorite films is Donnie Darko ... I could watch it, and I have, watched it over and over again. Each time I see it, I see something I missed. I cannot say enough about how great this film is and then I watched ...

Southland Tales

What the heck???? Richard Kelly ... what the heck??? He wrote and directed Donnie Darko superbly .. is that a word? He launched the career of Jake Gyllenhall and seriously, it's his best performance. So what the heck happened?

First of all ... the cast was horrible!!!! Just HORRIBLE!!! The Rock as the main hero? Are you kidding me? He can't act his way out of a paper bag, man, what a waste of a salary! Sara Michelle Geller? Really? Seriously ... really? And then here come the SNL people ... Poehler, Lovitz, Oteri, Nora Dunn ... now, they weren't bad, well, Lovitz was bad, but still ... lordy be what the heck? Bai Ling? What is she? Wallace Shawn? The only good casting calls were, believe it or not, Justin Timberlake and Sean William Scott. Timberlake did a cool song and dance number using the song that this blahg is dedicated to. I liked that scene.

The story ... this script probably could have been adapted for an HBO or Showtime miniseries. The movie was almost 2.5 hours long and it was still not complete. The editing was horrible and it was just incredibly hard to follow.

So why do I care?

I care because of Donnie Darko. Kelly needs to remake this film. It needs to be released in theatres a la the Kill Bill movies or, mentioned before, as a miniseries on cable. And most of all, A COMPLETELY NEW CAST.

Get Geller & Rock out of there. So please, Richard Kelly ... do it over!

Also watched a silly episode of Total Wrecklmation. Come on Jodi ... crying over an auction? That was really dumb. Dumb even after she threatened to take the kitchen out and sell it herself. Sorry, but crying really made her look like a total drama queen. No more crying, please!!!!!

No comments: