Monday, July 7, 2008

Control

Finally got finished watching Control. Never ever ever ever watch this film while bummed out. Dang! I know what happened to Ian Curtis and all, but seeing it on film was heartwrenching. The guy who played Ian was spooky, heck all the band members were spooky. Samantha Morton was good as Deborah, Ian's widow ... did I mention how depressing the film was? I think I'm going to have to let this one marinate for a little while. I didn't feel this bummed when I read the book, Touching from a Distance, on which this film is based ... maybe being filmed in black and white also made a difference.

Don't get me wrong, it was a very good film, maybe a bit too good. Joy Division is/was such a great band. I probably like them better than New Order. And wouldn't circumstance have it, I published this post and what song popped up? Dead Souls by Joy Division ... I'm completely creeped out now. I hate it when films stick in my head like that, now I'm going to be sullen for the rest of the day. The last film to do this to me was Pan's Labyrinth, but that was a work of fantasy, not a true story. The events in the film, more specifically, Ian Curtis's suicide really happened. Ugh, why do I do this to myself.

Ok, good film, not for everyone.

No comments: