Sunday, December 21, 2008

I am Stunned

The Assassination of Jesse James by the Coward Robert Ford is almost 3 hours long, so it took me about 3 days to get through (thank you Tivo!). All I have to say is that I am stunned by this film, stunned by the beauty of it, stunned by the performances, just stunned by the story.

I'm no fan of Casey Affleck either. I think he'd be perfect in a David Byrne biopic than any other film. Watched him in Lonesome Jim and found his acting style as rather stoned than effective. Same with Jesse James ... I just wasn't entirely buying his role. There had to have been someone better. I guess Shia LeBoef was up for it, but anyway, in spite of Affleck, the film is a masterpiece. Each and every scene is a work of art. I don't think it won the Oscar for cinematography but it sure as heck should have. I wasn't a bit surprised to see that the cinematographer that does most of the Coen Brothers movies was the cinematogrpaher for this film It had a very Fargo/No Country For Old Men feel to it. The editing was magnificent ... boy, this film has brought out the film geek in me.

Brad Pitt, who continues to be the most unappreciated actor in Hollywood (along with Val Kilmer, but that's another blahg entry for another day) gave a career performance as Jesse James. He set the uncomfortable tone of the entire film. Seriously, you feel uncomfortable watching this movie, the stress is palatable from the beginning. I'll even give Casey Affleck some credit, his stoney performance lended to the general feel of the entire film.

There's so much to discuss ... was Robert Ford a coward? Or was he just getting Jesse before Jesse could get him? Was Jesse James really a bad guy? Dang, this film is going to marinate with me for WEEKS!!!!

No comments: