Sunday, August 17, 2008

Bolt!!!

I participated in Athletics for more years than I can count. Athletics=track and field. I love watching track meets and wish I could be a track official. I would love to be a starter. Anyway, athletics started over the weekend at the Olympics and I have to say that I've witnesses greatness and his name is Usain Bolt. He's 6'5". He's too dang tall to run this fast, but he does. He's only been running the 100m for 2 years and he's managed to break the world record twice. Not only that, but he doesn't even run full on ... he shattered the World Record in Beijing and coasted, celebrated ... acted like a cocky S.O.B. before he even crossed the finishline. And watching this at 5:15am sure got my day started with a spark. I cannot wait to see this guy run the 200 ... I CAN'T WAIT!! I'd love to see what this guy could do in a 400 or on relays.

Another thing that was truly amazing is that 5 out of the 9 runners were from either Jamaica or Trinidad & Tobago. Bolt won the gold for Jamaica, a guy from Trinidad & Tobago won silver and Walter Dix from the US won bronze (way to go Mr. Dix!) ... I LOVE THE OLYMPICS!!!

The movie, Sunshine has fully marinated in my brain and I can wholeheartedly say that I love the movie ... I need to watch it again to fully absorb it.

I watched an old one that I missed the first time around and now I understand why ... The Beach. It's a Danny Boyle film and it sucked. It sucked bad. Oh my god did it stink. I want Danny Boyle to give me my 2 hours back. It was positively terrible. Ok, Leo was fresh off Titanic and Tilda Swinton ... well, I'll give 'em both a pass because they've moved onto much better things. But Danny Boyle!!! Blech.

I watched The DaVinci Code all the way through this time ... been trying for a year and I managed to get it done. Boy, the Catholic Church got all on it's haunches over this film. Why??? I personally, as a Catholic, thought it as a very interesting STORY. It's a story, folks ... so defensive these people. This was the most restrained I've ever seen Tom Hanks act and I kind of liked it. I thought it gave a great overview of how Christianity developed in the western world. A Cliff's Notes on relgion so to say. I don't understand why the concept of Jesus being a regular guy is so hard to grasp. I don't think it would affect my Catholic faith in anyway, but boy would it change the order of the Mass ... yikes!!! Oh and the whole Communion thing ... it would completely blow away the whole concept of transsubstantiation if Jesus were just a regular dude who had a pregnant wife at the time of his crucifixion. I don't know, I thought it was a great story and really gave viewers something to think about and maybe that's why the Church got so upset.


Watched an interesting episode of Penn & Teller Bullshit on world peace. Penn Jillette is an interesting guy with interesting ideas. They showed both sides of the extreme coin. Code Pink/A.N.S.W.E.R and an extreme pro-war organization, can't remember the name. Basically, they said that the Code Pink types are more about feeling good than actually doing good, and I can agree. Sorry, but the Code Pink people just look and act strange. They are the kind of people who get more caught up in being disruptive than actually doing something good. The pro-war folks were just scary ... please, anyone who thinks that war is a good thing needs to be checked into a psych ward, or sent to a third world country to fend for themselves. P&T stated that world peace=open markets and capitalism ... I have to kind of agree, but then you get into the politics of open markets and capitalism (NAFTA, Iraq oil war) ... to me, it just means the ruling of many be a few and no, that doesn't mean I'm a communist, far from it. I'm all for capitalism, it's in human nature to be competitive and win. I'm as big of a consumer as the next dope, but world peace equalling business reeks to me. World Peace to me means nobody is fighting anybody. No, not singing kum-bay-a either. Please. People just being people without acting like assholes. I don't think I'll see that in my lifetime, maybe my kid's lifetime.

Back to my Olympics!

No comments: