Tuesday, August 12, 2008

Guess what I'm blah-ging about???

Yep, Olympics. I am so incredibly sleep deprived, but this is only a 1 time every 4 years thing, so I think I can handle it. It's the Olympics for heaven's sake!!!

Watched Spain beat China in Men's basketball early this morning in spite of the refs doing everything in their power to give it to the Chinese. Watched the US men play Angola. The men's team acts like they want to win it all this year, not like it is going to be bestowed upon them by the Olympic Gods. The German women are playing North Korea's women in soccer right now. Amazing, North Korea is really good. It's too bad that they have to play for North Korea. Germany has their hands full. They (Germany) are the reigning world champions.

I've been watching as much of these games in high definition as possible. It's so cool! The only thing that's not cool is seeing Rafael Nadal, who .. don't get me wrong ... he's a great tennis player, but the the guy sweats like he has faucets on his head going full blast ... it's not pretty in regular definition, it's dowright gross in high def. And then after he beat Lleyton Hewitt from Australia, he takes off his headband, which looks like a well cooked noodle after his match and then shakes Hewitt's hand with the hand he took his headband off with ... eeeeeeeeuuuuuuuuuu!!!! No wonder Hewitt exited the court immediately, he needed to shower that hand!!! I don't think I'll watch women's weightlifting in high def.

I watched some greco roman wrestling this morning after the China/Spain basketball game. The US has this little ball of muscle named Spenser Mango who is one of the top "wraslers" in the world. He lost to a guy from Romania, but greco roman wrestling looks really tough. That's what I love about these Olympics .. seeing sports that I wouldn't normally watch. I also watched kayaking and more team handball. I think the scariest thing I watched today was Croatia and Serbia going at each other, literally, in men's water polo. A few players were ejected and what was going on under the water wasn't pretty. Those 2 countries still hate each other. I remember reading about the 1956 Olympic water polo match between Hungary and the Soviet Union. Hungary had recently had an uprising against the USSR and from what I've read, there was blood in the water during that match. Hungary won the match, but lost the revolution. There wasn't any blood in the water today, but it was intense to watch.

No comments: